Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins

Last week my mom and I made GF muffins and they were amazing!  I was in heaven.  They were not the grainy, dry GF baked goods you get from the stores, ICK.  These muffins were moist, soft, held together nicely and, dare I say, healthy!  I used a wonderful mixture of whole grains and starches.
This recipe is from the Gluten-Free Girl, LOVE her!  When I first read her recipes I was very intimidated.  In this recipe alone I used NINE different flours/starches! And, no, I did not use measuring cups for my flours I weighed them like a good "gluten-free girl."  It may sound INSANE, but it is worth all the hard work.  The GF all-purpose mix you buy from the store just doesn't cut it.  Now that I am feeling a little more comfortable with my flours I am going to start buying in bulk and cooking up some gluten free goodies. YUM!
Next week I am making dinner rolls.  I cannot wait!


350 grams whole-grain flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
180 grams deark brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 eggs
300 grams buttermilk
100 grams grapeseed oil (I used 100 grams of melted butter)
handful dried figs (I did not have figs or walnuts on hand and so I used 1 cup of blueberries)
handful walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease a large muffin tin thoroughly.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk them together to combine and aerate.
Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and grapeseed oil (butter) until they are combined well. Add them to the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula until the batter is almost fully combined. Throw in the figs and walnuts and continue stirring until all trace of flour is gone.
Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. Slide the muffins into the oven. Bake until the muffins are browned with a bit of a crunch, the top springs back to the touch, and a knife goes through cleanly, about 25 minutes to 35 minutes.

My all purpose whole-grain mix:
Almond          45 grams (I would like to have used more Almond flour, but that is all I had on hand)
Buckwheat     55 g
Quinoa           200 g
Oat                 200 g
Pure rice        100 g
Millet             25 g
Potato starch  150 g
Cornstarch     125 g

**The other morning I used 1 part of my AP mix to 1 part cornmeal for yummy gluten-free banana pancakes.  I add the cornmeal for a little crunch.  Really, does anyone eat WHITE--read rubbery, disgusting--FLOUR in their pancakes these days?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you grind almonds for almond flour and will arrowroot work for potato starch in this recipe?

Autumn said...

What great questions! Yes, you can easily grind your own almond flour. I found this post helpful for making almond flour/meal, but you will also want to read this article to learn the healthiest way to prepare your almonds. I always want to use more almond flour and making your own makes this more economical and more realistic, at least for me!
In regards to your second question, yes, you can use arrowroot instead of potato starch. You can use any combo of the following Arrowroot, Cornstarch, Potato Starch, Tapioca Flour, White Rice Flour. As long as you use 70% whole grains and 30% starch you should be good. The AP mix is explained here. I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I am not accustomed to grams how do I convert cups to grams if I don't have a scale? Cheers!