Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Expecting! Pregnancy #3 and the big news

As promised the beginning details...

We found out we were expecting a week before Sean deployed to the Middle East in May of 2010. We were excited about welcoming a new baby, but a little concerned how the pregnancy would go, especially with Sean out of the picture for awhile.  The last couple of times Sean deployed while I was expecting did not go well to say the least!  We were praying that this time would be different.
At the beginning of the year I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (more on my gluten free life here).  I, not so promptly, changed my diet and even gained some weight (a good thing).  We were hoping now that we knew why I was so anemic everything would go a lot smoother with this, my third pregnancy.

Sean left for deployment and I took our two boys to go visit my family in IL.  Flying with two little ones can be exhausting, throw in a pregnancy and you have one wiped out mama!  We had a great trip with family and all seemed to be going well with baby, but I was anxious to get home and go to my first doctors appointment.

Back in California I asked a friend to watch Kipp.  Cael and I went to the appointment to see the new baby.  As soon as the ultrasound began I thought wow that looks like two babies... I must be seeing double!  At that moment the doctor said "I see two babies."  WHAT? Are you sure?  I don't understand.  TWO?  What a shock!  It was so exciting and scary all at the same time.  I couldn't believe it.  Nothing seemed real at that point.  Cael seemed unimpressed, but I was flipping out!  I couldn't wait to tell Sean, but of course I couldn't call him, he was deployed.  I had to wait for his phone call, so I called my cousin and told her the happy, scary news.  She was appropriately shocked and couldn't wait to hear what Sean had to say.  We were laughing excitedly about the news, but less than an hour later as I was pulling into town, I started crying.  Fear was slowly creeping in.  I knew that a twin pregnancy was considered high risk.  I also knew that out of the four people I personally knew that had been expecting multiples none of them had ended up with all of their babies.  It was time to start praying.

FINALLY, Sean called (less than 2hrs after the appointment) and I told him the good news.  Of course he didn't believe me.  Did he really think I would be crying like this if it were a joke?! Seriously!  He, of course, was super excited.  What a crazy adventure.

Never would I have EVER thought I would have twins.  It still seems so unreal, well, until they BOTH start spitting up or have an explosion at the same time.  Double the work makes it feel VERY REAL!  Even though these sweet babies are a lot of work they are even MORE FUN!  Twins are the best!
TWINS!

Our babies at 9 weeks

No comments: